A place to talk about CG particles...
login.php?sid=81355f79f0faed362e3cdc4fd029e2b0 profile.php?mode=register&sid=81355f79f0faed362e3cdc4fd029e2b0 faq.php?sid=81355f79f0faed362e3cdc4fd029e2b0 memberlist.php?sid=81355f79f0faed362e3cdc4fd029e2b0 search.php?sid=81355f79f0faed362e3cdc4fd029e2b0 index.php?sid=81355f79f0faed362e3cdc4fd029e2b0

Orbaz Technologies Forum Index » Particle Flow Tools: Box#3 » Mix-Factor - Can't be animated..?
Mix-Factor - Can't be animated..?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:51 am Reply with quote
curtana

Hi,

As you can see in the screenshot, I've set up a position interpolation between two positions, the mix-factor is based on the even't frame progression, and it produces the correct data as visible by the display data op(it progresses from 0 to 1 in about 100 frames), but the interpolation doesn't work for some reason, it will work if I don't expose the R3 and change the spinner manually but not through a wired-in animated value, not even a regular keyframed animation, what am I missing here, maybe this value can't be animated?

PositionInterpolation.max
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  PositionInterpolation.max
 Filesize:  308 KB
 Downloaded:  305 Time(s)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:27 am Reply with quote
Oleg
Site Admin

There is "New In Event" sub-operator at the top of the data flow. It is used as a filter for applying the interpolated particle position. The sub-operator generates "TRUE" only at the moment when a particle enters 'Event 002'. At this moment the wired interpolation factor is zero hence you don't see the interpolation effect.

If you remove "New In Event" sub-operator, you can see the interpolation effect throughout the animation.

Thanks,
Oleg B.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:21 am Reply with quote
curtana

Thanks for the quick response, I'm a bit confused here, considering how the 'Random Surface Point' shifts the position continuously I thought what I had done with that 'New In Event' was telling it to output the random points only at the event entry and hence stopping the particles to shift their positions each frame, which happens when I removed the 'New In Event', Which then I managed to solve by storing that position in the first event(with the 'new in event' connected) and using it in the 2nd, so what's different there?

If I had applied the 'New In Event' filter to the Interpolation function this would make complete sense to me, but now no matter how much I look at it it doesn't..

Also another problem, the position Interpolation completes prematurely at about 30% (0.3 Mix-Factor), what am I missing here?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:31 am Reply with quote
Oleg
Site Admin

Particles filtering propagates all the way through up to the point of an Output sub-operator. If some of the particles were filtered out in the up-stream, they cannot supply any values down-stream. Hence it does not matter whether you apply the New In Event filter to Random Surface Point or the Interpolation Function - the filtering on particles happens anyway, and it affects the final outcome.

Thanks,
Oleg B.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:25 am Reply with quote
curtana

I see, didn't expect it to be like that, so in other words it's as if I've wired a 'New In Event' directly into the Function sub-op?... That's good to know.

I'm still looking for the reason why my Interpolation finishes per-maturely at about 0.3 of mix-factor, what am I missing in there?
Mix-Factor - Can't be animated..?
Orbaz Technologies Forum Index » Particle Flow Tools: Box#3