A place to talk about CG particles...
login.php?sid=582ea0d7adcaed726489bc637545d0b9 profile.php?mode=register&sid=582ea0d7adcaed726489bc637545d0b9 faq.php?sid=582ea0d7adcaed726489bc637545d0b9 memberlist.php?sid=582ea0d7adcaed726489bc637545d0b9 search.php?sid=582ea0d7adcaed726489bc637545d0b9 index.php?sid=582ea0d7adcaed726489bc637545d0b9

Orbaz Technologies Forum Index » Particle Flow Tools: Box#3 » Is there a way to select particles inside a closed spline?
Is there a way to select particles inside a closed spline?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Lantrancy

say I have a plane and birth particles on it, I have a circle spline above the plane, then I want to select particle inside the circle spline along world Z axis, kind of projecting the circle to the plane surface and select everything in the circle.

can PFlow do the trick?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Dewey1916

Hey Smile
I know I'm late, but I hope this will still help you.

When it's just a circle there is no need for the spline. You can make a small Box 3 setup to look if a particle is in a specified radius of a circle with a specified center. A little bit of math - I love it Very Happy

I did this here:
http://puu.sh/eBnAL/4feca2ad0e.jpg

First of all I test the distance between the particle and the specified center (only looking at x and z - it's a projected circle not a sphere). Then I check id this distance is smaller than the specified value. If so I set the particles position z-Component a bit higher than the other particles, but you could basically do everything you want with these particles!

I hope this helps you Smile
Matthias
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:18 am Reply with quote
Lantrancy

Dewey1916 wrote:
Hey Smile
I know I'm late, but I hope this will still help you.

When it's just a circle there is no need for the spline. You can make a small Box 3 setup to look if a particle is in a specified radius of a circle with a specified center. A little bit of math - I love it Very Happy

I did this here:
http://puu.sh/eBnAL/4feca2ad0e.jpg

First of all I test the distance between the particle and the specified center (only looking at x and z - it's a projected circle not a sphere). Then I check id this distance is smaller than the specified value. If so I set the particles position z-Component a bit higher than the other particles, but you could basically do everything you want with these particles!

I hope this helps you Smile
Matthias

Thank you for replying.
It seems only work for some certain shapes, a circle is just to draw an analogy, I need it to work with any shape.
But this is really helpful, makes my eyes open, I'm appreciate it.
If you have any new idea please share it, thank you very much.

apologize for my bad English.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Dewey1916

I have a new attempt:
http://puu.sh/eEUWD/8f339a9bef.png

So this is how it works:
- I created an N-Gon spline. Now we need to fill the spline. Splines are not my favorite topic - In my case a simple 'extrude modifier' works, but when you use a more complec shape you may need another modfier.
- I then get the closest point on the surface of the spline and check if my particles x and y-component is the same as the one of the NGon fill. This isn't 100% accurate since for the condition sub-op, we need an integer (to get the 'equals' option) and while converting from real to integer we loose some digits (but in this case I thing it only matters if you have a huge amount of particles...).
- If the condition, that x and y of the object/particle is the same, we can do whatever we want with them (I set the z-value of the particle to 50).

I hope this helps you (:
Matthias
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Lantrancy

Dewey1916 wrote:
I have a new attempt:
http://puu.sh/eEUWD/8f339a9bef.png

So this is how it works:
- I created an N-Gon spline. Now we need to fill the spline. Splines are not my favorite topic - In my case a simple 'extrude modifier' works, but when you use a more complec shape you may need another modfier.
- I then get the closest point on the surface of the spline and check if my particles x and y-component is the same as the one of the NGon fill. This isn't 100% accurate since for the condition sub-op, we need an integer (to get the 'equals' option) and while converting from real to integer we loose some digits (but in this case I thing it only matters if you have a huge amount of particles...).
- If the condition, that x and y of the object/particle is the same, we can do whatever we want with them (I set the z-value of the particle to 50).

I hope this helps you (:
Matthias

Thanks very much
it works.
Is there a way to select particles inside a closed spline?
Orbaz Technologies Forum Index » Particle Flow Tools: Box#3